During our Spring Blooms Yoga Retreat, we made delicious smoothies and homemade granola each day. A good breakfast & morning yoga is the perfect start to any day. Relive our healthy week with these recipes. Try them out and let me know how you get on.
Strawberry Smoothie with Chia Seeds
At FitFoodieFinds Linley has developed this incredibly tasty breakfast recipe with the main ingredient being chia seeds. As its packed with high amounts of fiber, protein, Antioxidants and Omega- 3 fat acids there’s no reason not take advantage of it.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries (with some ice)
- 1 medium banana
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
Place all ingredients in a blender or Magic Bullet and blend until smooth! Let sit for a few minutes so that the chia seeds can do their magic (expand and get slimy). Enjoy!
Matcha Smoothie with Spinach
This recipe is created by Yummy Mummy Kitchen. Matcha is a versatile and powerful ingredient, in fact 137 times more powerful than regular brewed tea. Dense in vitamins, fiber and antioxidants this matcha smoothie kicks off the day in the best way possible.
- 1/4 cup almond milk (plus more as needed)
- 1 banana, peeled, sliced, and frozen
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, packed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 strawberries sliced
- 3 ice cubes
Pour the almond milk into the blender. Top with banana, matcha powder, spinach, and chia seeds. Place the blender lid on and blend. Stop and scrape down the sides (with blender off) as needed. For a thick smoothie bowl add just enough liquid to turn the blender blade and be patient. For a thinner, drinkable smoothie, add more liquid. Blend until all green spinach bits are gone. Transfer to a glass or bowl. Top with fruit and coconut if desired and enjoy right away!
To go with the smoothies above, this homemade granola by Martha Stewart fits like a hand in a glove.
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cherries / any fruit
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Step 1 Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together oats, almonds, pecans, cherries, coconut, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
Step 2 In a small saucepan, combine oil, honey, and sugar. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Drizzle syrup over oat mixture; toss with a wooden spoon. Pour granola onto sheet pan and spread evenly. Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden (about 25 minutes). Let granola cool completely on a wire rack. Break it into chunks and store in an airtight container.
Prep time: 5 min. Cooking time: 20 min
justinesnacks.com provides the best matcha muffins and you need to try them. Fit for St. Patricks day, Earth Day or just about any day you feel like having something tasty.
INGREDIENTS (6 muffins)
- 150 grams all-purpose flour about 1 cup, loosely packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tsp matcha powder ceremonial grade
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter (118g) or coconut oil (90g)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (150g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar optional for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and matcha in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, maple syrup, and egg until well combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients in with the wet and mix until smooth. You want to mix by hand for about a minute, just to form a little gluten and hold in the batter.
- Pour the batter into six muffin lined muffin cups. Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Once out of the oven, sprinkle powdered sugar on top and serve
Matcha Tea Pancakes
Prep time: 15 min. Cooking time: 20 min
Pancakes for breakfast is delicious but nothing new. Switch it up with the Japanese ingredient to add flavour and health benefits. Cucchiaio.it gave us the perfect recipe, now let’s get this pancake started!
INGREDIENTS (6 pancakes)
- 2 eggs
- 80 g sugar
- 85 g of flour
- 30 g of seed oil
- 30 g of milk
- 10 g of matcha
- In a bowl whip the egg whites with sugar until you get a frothy mixture. Add the egg yolks, flour, matcha, milk and oil. Mix well from the bottom up with the help of a spatula until you get a smooth, homogeneous mixture.
- Pour a spoonful of dough over a hot non-stick pan until you see bubbles appear on the surface. Turn the pancakes and cook them on the other side for a few moments. Proceed in this way until the end of the dough.
Add a spoonful of Glow Herb mix from our Masterclass, courtesy of Glow Bar London in your lattes, smoothies, and a little yoga grove and have a fabulous one X